Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Technology and Useful Apps at Disney Parks

Hi friends!

With Spring Break coming up for most of my area, I thought I would talk about some useful apps and pieces of technology to take with you on a Disney trip.


I'm going to preface this with the fact that I am BAD at technology for the most part. I can type and use the Facebook. The only reason I know how to blog is because I had to learn for a class in college (thanks Texas Tech!) so rest assured that all of the apps that I'm showing you today are user friendly.


I have all kinds of Disney apps - some WAY more useful than others. Note here that I am an Apple user, so these apps are all displayed on my iPad.


I'll start with the apps you need at the parks and then cover some general apps I think you should have for your trip.

Walt Disney World:

1. My Disney Experience - Official Walt Disney World App

Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: Free



This is the first major app you need. It houses a park map, wait times, your Fastpass+ selections, your dining reservations, and countless other items. You need this to maneuver through a day at the WDW parks. Having this app on your phone enables you to change Fastpass+ selections from right where you are. You've got the "World" (get it?) at your fingertips!

2. Wait Times for Disney World 



Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: Free

I like to check my wait times here rather than in My Disney Experience because it's a quicker reference. Just a quick look at a list rather than moving through a map.

3. WDW Lines by Touring Plans





Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: The App itself is free but to use all of the features within, there is a subscription fee of $12.95 for a full year of use. 

This is one of my favorite apps by a long shot. I am incredibly type A and I like to have my ducks in a row before I ever leave home on how I'm going to park tour. I love this app because it has options: you can use one of their multiple touring plans, whichever fits the needs of your family, OR you can create your own plan based on only attractions you want to see, how often you need breaks, when and where you'll be eating, and more. It puts the attractions in the best order to save time when you hit "optimize". You'll do some real walking using these plans, but, in my experience (as well as proven by their algorithms), you could save up to 4 hours. You can do a lot more fun stuff (read: get your money's worth) in those 4 hours saved. I think it's worth the subscription fee.

Disneyland Resort:

1. Disneyland Official




Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: Free

This app has a map of the parks embedded with wait times. When I visited Disneyland, I bought my ticket from within the app to scan to get into the parks. 

2. Wait Times Disneyland 



Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: Free

This is effectively the same app as its WDW counterpart, it just shows wait times for Disneyland and California Adventure in a more convenient list form.

3. DLR Lines by Touring Plans








Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: The App itself is free, but in order to use all of its features, you must pay for a subscription fee. I paid $7.95 for full year of use.

This is effectively the same app as the WDW version. Create and use touring plans, and enjoy additional features.

General Apps:

1. Uber

Available on iTunes and Google Play

Cost: Free to get the app. You will enter credit card information into the app and it will automatically charge you when you use a driver. No tipping is required or encouraged.


This app and business operate as a taxi service operated by individual drivers in their personal vehicles. I love using this app! I have only used this app with my husband, but I think this would be useful whether alone or with your family on a trip. All you have to do is request a driver on the app. Using your location, it assigns the nearest available driver to you. Ways to use this app on a Disney trip include using Uber to go to other Orlando or Anaheim area theme parks (Universal Studios, SeaWorld), to make a Dining Reservation, park to park, or just to not use the bus.

2. Photo Grid


I love this app! This is what I use to combine pictures to post on social media. I used this to create the title photo for this post. It makes it easier to share a few photos at a time without spamming all of your internet friends.

3. Your favorite social media platforms


To brag to your family and friends that you're at Disney and allow me to live vicariously through you when I am not at the parks, obviously.

4. The Weather Channel


Because if anyone's weather is more unpredictable than the Texas panhandle's, it's Orlando. Anaheim is gorgeous. Always. Use this to know if you should pack your poncho in your park bag (hint: you probably should).

Tips and tricks

1. Buy and carry an external battery charger in your backpack. While all of these apps are certainly useful, they can drain your phone battery. My external pack saves my life all the time! I didn't get anything fancy - I bought mine from Walmart and it's been a dream.



2. Make sure you have enough space on your phone to use necessary apps and be able to take pictures before you leave home.

3. Screen shot your dining and Fastpass+ reservations just in case the app doesn't want to cooperate.

4. If you drove yourself to the parks, take a photo of your parking spot on your phone.

5. Walt Disney World has free wifi in the parks for you to use. Disneyland Resort does not.

I hope everyone enjoys their Spring Break! Or your kid's spring break. Or a weekend. Whichever hits closest to home.

Let me know of any apps or technology that you use in the parks and I should add!

Have a Zippity Doo Dah Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment